Shredder for Home, Bonsaii 6 Sheet Cross Cut Paper Shredder and Credit Card Small Home Office Use Shredder, Portable Handle Design with 3.4 Gallons Wastebasket (C237-B)View on Amazon
VidaTeco Small Paper Shredder,10-Sheet Micro Cut Shredder with US Patented Cutter,Higher Security P-4,Card/Paper Shredder for Home Office with Jam Proof System,2.65-Gallon Pull Out Basket (ETL)View on Amazon
8-Sheet Strip Cut Home Paper Shredder,Bonsaii CD and Credit Card Office Shredder Machine with Overheat and Overload Protection,3.5 Gallons Wastebasket,Black (S120-C)View on Amazon
Shredder for Home Office, Bonsaii Micro Cut Paper and Credit Card Shredder, 8 Sheet Paper Shredder with 4 Gallons Transparent Window, Black (C206-D)View on Amazon
Last update on 2021-09-23 / Affiliate links / Images, Product Titles, and Product Highlights from Amazon Product Advertising API
While shredders aren't the most glamorous piece of technology, they're absolutely important, and there's now a wide choice of shredder brands and models to choose from.
We've done hundreds of research to find the shredding machines that shoppers love the most to help you choose the right one for your home or workplace. If you are looking for a reliable, durable, and powerful paper shredder for personal usage, we have narrowed down our list of the best home office shredders to suit your needs.
Not only do the best shredders safeguard your privacy and security, but they're also required by many businesses, especially if you're dealing with sensitive information. Currently, shredders are more affordable than they used to be, and many of them come with additional features like advanced shredding techniques and the ability to securely shred credit cards, for example.
Unlike some purchases, buying a paper shredder is a straightforward process. There aren't many aspects to consider. The only thing you need to think about is how well and efficiently each model can perform its basic functions.
1. Home office shredder types
Strip-cut, cross-cut, and micro-cut are the three basic types of shredders. Strip-cut models produce long strips and are the least secure, whereas cross-cut versions produce smaller strips and are regarded as mid-level in terms of security. Micro-cut shredders are the safest since they shred documents into small, confetti-like pieces. The micro-cutting process is slower, but if document security is a necessity, the extra time is worth it.
2. The size of waste bin
Do you want a small paper shredder that can be easily stored under your desk or in a closet? Then you must take into account the capacity of the waste bin.
Because a smaller bin can store fewer paper shreds, it must be emptied more often. When you only shred a few documents per week, this isn't an issue. However, if you use a shredder at your home office and shred frequently, emptying the container every day can be troublesome.
A typical home shredder holds 3 to 5 gallons of paper. The number of paper shreds or strips of paper it can hold is determined by the shredder's security level. Long strips from a strip-cut shredder take up more space than smaller paper particles.
Most paper shredders are capable of jams. Cheaper versions are more likely to jam than more expensive models, while some jams are easier to remove than others. Some of the most expensive shredders have guarantees against paper jams.
Now, we present to you a list of the home office shredders in 2021.
1. Home Office Shredders: Fellowes Powershred 79Ci
The name says it all when it comes to this paper shredder. The Fellowes Powershred 79Ci does an excellent job living up to its name. Powershred can shred not only paper, but also staples, credit cards, paper clips, CDs and DVDs, junk mail, and anything else you can think of. It can handle any shredding circumstance if used properly.
- The Powershred lasts up to 20 minutes, followed by a 30-minute cool down. The Powershred's claim to be 100% jam-proof is one of its biggest selling points.
- For shared workspaces, SilentShred offers ultra-quiet shredder performance.
- The energy-saving system operates at peak efficiency 100% of the time when it is in use and not in use. Shred 16 sheets each into 5/32" x 1-1/2" cross-section particles.
- When your hand touches the paper opening, SafeSense technology stops the shredder.
2. Home Office Shredders: Aurora AU870MA High-Security 8-Sheet
A micro-cut shredder provides the best level of security for your documents, and reviewers highly recommend this Aurora AU870MA High-Security 8-Sheet model from Aurora. Most significantly, it shreds your documents and personal information into small, unrecognizable pieces, so if security of your documents and personal information is a priority, this model is your best bet.
- It has an 8-sheet capacity and can run for up to five minutes continuously. Auto start and manual Reverse to clear jams.
- It shreds credit cards quietly, efficiently, and effectively. Everything turns into teeny-tiny pieces.
- It also has a 3.9-gallon waste basket connected, overheat LED indicator and thermal safety with auto shut-off.
3. Home Office Shredders: AmazonBasics 12-Sheet Cross-Cut
The AmazonBasics 12-Sheet Cross-Cut Shredder, which meets security level op P-3 standards, has a great reasonable price for the features it offers. You can shred for up to 7 minutes at a time with this cross-cut shredder before allowing it to cool down for around 30 minutes. In general, this shredder does a great job and is ideal for a small home office.
- This is not a problem if you surpass the maximum run time. Thermal protection on the shredder ensures that the shredder shuts down automatically to protect the engine from overheating.
- Shreds up to 12 sheets of 20-pound bond paper at a time; credit cards can also be destroyed one by one, via a dedicated slot, staples, and small paper clips.
- 8.7-inch paper-entry width; lift handle to easily lift the shredder head; and easy-to-empty 4.8-gallon bin. Power switch 4 modes (auto, off, reverse, forward); auto start and anti-jam auto reverse to reduce/clear paper jams; LED indicators (power on, overload, overheat, misaligned)
1. What is the maximum number of sheets that a shredder can shred?
Only a few documents can be shredded per pass by a home office shredder. The sheet capacity of a shredder is the number of documents it can shred in one pass.
Shredders with basic features can shred five to ten ordinary A4 documents at once. On the other hand, higher-end models can shred more papers.
Instead of shredding the maximum number of documents, we recommend shredding one less document. This is because you might shred a document that is a little thicker than usual, or a paper that is folded in half, resulting in a heavier pile.
2. How loud are home office shredders?
Standard large home office shredders produce noise equivalent to a normal conversation. Smaller under-desk shredders can be as quiet as 50 decibels (dB), which is comparable to the sound of rain falling on a driveway and well below the 85 dB danger level. The maximum decibel level that the human ear can take for more than 8 hours without causing damage to the inner ear is 85 dB.
Paper shredders are inherently quite noisy. Regardless of the brand you choose, it will make a certain amount of noise. You have a good chance of getting a noise-controlling machine if you're willing to spend a little more money. Some high-end shredders claim to function silently, and you might get too close to that.
3. Why is my home office shredder creaking?
Dust and paper particles accumulate over time between the rotating cutting blades of your shredder, causing weird noises and decreased cutting speeds. This dust is created during the paper cutting process. Oiling your home office shredder is one solution to this problem.
Also, the dated mechanical design of older paper shredders can simply be the reason for noisy operation. This is most noticeable while shredding paper since a lot of noise is produced. Simply, outdated shredding blade designs cut through paper less efficiently while burning more energy. Users benefit from significantly quieter operation and enhanced convenience while using much less energy than current technology used in the design of paper shredders.
4. Can a home office shredder have more advanced features?
Of course, just because you are purchasing a paper shredder doesn't mean you have a single function. Many of these machines come with a number of advanced features that will enhance and improve your shredding experience. Here are a few examples:
- Shred credit cards, for heavy cards and plastics, paper clips.
- Anti-jamming technology keeps the feed tray clear.
- Pull-out bins, which are actually quite common.
5. Should I buy a home office shredder with a cross-cut or a micro-cut blade?
Cross-cut models (also known as diamond-cut models) are more secure than strip-cut models because the paper is cut into small, confetti-style fragments that are more difficult to reassemble. The most secure form is micro-cut, as these shredders produce even smaller confetti particles that are very hard to put back together.
While the conversation around security these days tends to focus on the digital side of things, it's essential that you cover all of your bases, including sensitive and confidential documents.
Even the most innocuous documentation can cause chaos if it falls into the wrong hands. To safeguard against identity theft, you should shred all documents containing sensitive personal information, such as bank statements. This is where a home office shredder can help. Every workspace setup, whether it's a home study or a commercial, open-plan office, should include a shredder that meets your needs.
And each of the home office shredders we've mentioned above is a great offering in the market.
- The home office shredder: Fellowes Powershred 79Ci
- The runner-up: AmazonBasics 12-Sheet Cross-Cut Shredder
- The best Micro-Cut Option: Aurora AU870MA High-Security 8-Sheet
We hope you find this advice helpful in choosing the home office shredders for you.